The plumbing system is important to the house because it gives you access to water and it is also necessary for sanitation. For this reason, it is your duty as a homeowner to take care of your plumbing system. In order for this system to be able to function properly, it must always be in good condition. The only way to do this is by conducting regular inspections and quickly addressing plumbing problems before they can progress into more complicated issues.
One of the most common problems that a homeowner may face is clogged drains. Clogged drains are a nuisance. When your drains are clogged, it can be very difficult to use the bathroom. Also, if you ignore your blocked drains, then you can expect your pipes to burst. But what causes a blocked drain? Here are 5 reasons why drains get clogged or blocked.
- Because of debris or foreign objects. One of the most common causes of blocked drains is foreign materials such as soap, hair, food or fats building up inside the drain. When these materials get stuck, at first it would be unnoticeable as the drains would not get easily clogged up. However, as the material stuck in the drain continues to build up, soon it would grow enough to clog the drains.
- When there is a storm or even just heavy rain, you can expect the water to gather all the leaves and the dirt and take it down outdoor drains. These materials caught in the water can get stuck inside the drain causing a blockage.
- Broken Pipes. If your pipes are broken, then you can expect water to not flow freely which could lead to the collapsing of the pipe and thus causing a blockage.
- Incorrect Pipe Installation. Mostly caused by DIY work, people sometimes install their pipes and plumbing wrong. When this happens, pipes can get misaligned or collapse completely.
- Water Flow. Sometimes, drains get clogged because of the flow of water. When there isn’t enough flow, it can cause blockage. Gravity is also necessary for drains and you shouldn’t expect water to flow up a hill.